“Creation of the Gods I: Kingdom of Storms” is a 2023 Chinese epic fantasy film directed by Wuershan. The film is the first film in the “Creation of the Gods” trilogy, adapted from the 16th-century Chinese fantasy novel “Investigation of the Gods” written by Xu Zhonglin. It was released in China on July 20, 2023.
The movie is a magnificent Eastern high fantasy epic that recreates the prolonged mythical wars between humans, immortals, and monsters, which happened more than three thousand years ago. The storyline is based on the most well-known classical fantasy novel in China, Fengshenyanyi.
The main cast includes Bo Huang as Jiang Ziya, Siang Fei as Qing Zhou, Xuejian Li as Ji Chang, Yu Xia as Shen Gongbao, and Kun Chen as Yuanshi Tianzun. The runtime of the film is 2 hours 28 minutes.
Creation of the Gods I: Kingdom of Storms (Theme)
The theme of “Creation of the Gods I: Kingdom of Storms” revolves around the core principles of Chinese civilization fatherhood and inheritance. The film is a spectacular Eastern high fantasy epic that recreates the long-running legendary wars between humans, immortals, and demons, which took place more than three thousand years ago.
The story is based on China’s most famous classical fantasy novel, Fengshenyi1. This trilogy is loosely adapted from the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644) novel Fengshen Yanyi (The Investiture of the Gods), an epic that blends history and mythology to retell the story of nearly 3,000 years ago – How Ji Fa, a righteous lord, leads a rebel army to overthrow King Zhou, a notorious tyrant who engages in adultery and indiscriminate killings.
The director has an excellent interest in history and Chinese myth. Very clear plot and character development, all in line with the ancient Chinese value system.
Creation of the Gods I: Kingdom of Storms (0ST)
Here is the complete list of the Creation of the Gods I: Kingdom of Storms Soundtrack:
- “Sacrifice” (2:19): “Sacrifice” is a song by English musician Elton John, written by John and Bernie Taupin1. It is from John’s 22nd studio album, “Sleeping with the Past” (1989). The song was first released in October 1989 as the second single from the album
- “Becoming a Hero” (3:58): The soundtrack album was released by Hangzhou Yuyinniaonyao Culture Media Company. The film’s music, including this track, was composed by Gordie Haab, who is known for his work on “Star Wars: Jedi Survivor/Fallen Order”, “Star Wars: The Fallen Order”, and “Star Wars: The Fallen Order”. “Battlefront”, and “Halo Wars 2”
- “End of the World” (2:41): “End of the World” is the third track on the album and has a duration of 2 minutes and 41 seconds. However, given the epic nature of the film and its storyline, it’s likely that the music reflects the grandeur and drama of the narrative.
Creation of the Gods I: Kingdom of Storms Soundtrack also includes:
- “West Qi – Homeland” (3:21):
- “Daji, The Fox Demon” (2:59)
- “Daji Seduces Zhou” (2:33)
- “Heaven’s Theme – Revealing the Feng Shen Bang” (3:00)
- “Shen Gong Bao’s Dark Magic” (1:18)
- “Ji Fa’s Sacrifice – Enthronement of King Zhou” (2:06)
- “Visiting West Qi – Consulting Ji Chang” (3:15)
- “Heaven’s Punishment – King Zhou’s Sacrificial Pledge” (4:19)
- “Nezha Saves the Mortals” (1:54)
- “Shen Gong Bao Visits the Palace – Zhou Tests Feng Shen Bang” (4:43)
- “The Gods Escape With the Feng Shen Bang” (2:30)
- “Lullaby For Lei Zhenzi” (4:15)
- “Patricide a Loyalty Pledge to the King” (5:03)
- “Father and Son – The Imprisonment of Ji Chang” (3:00)
- “Chasing the Fox Demon” (1:46)
- “The Ultimate Sacrifice” (1:51)
- “I Would Die for My Father” (4:54)
- “Ji Fa Receives the Gift Horse” (2:21)
- “Ji Chang Dragged to the Gallows” (3:21)
- “Ji Fa a Hero’s Rite of Passage” (9:42)
- “Showdown With Shen Gong Bao” (4:06)
- “Return to West Qi” (5:08)
- “Triumphal Music 蒙柯卓蘭 1:08”“War Dance 蒙柯卓蘭 1:23”
- “Enthronement 蒙柯卓蘭 1:40”
- “Banquet Music at Lu Tai 蒙柯卓蘭 1:08”
- “Execution Drum Music 蒙柯卓蘭 1:49″12
The soundtrack was composed by Gordy Haab1. It’s available for streaming and download on various platforms including Amazon.